A History of St. Peter of Alcantara Parish, Stanley, Kentucky
Submitted by Fr. Paul Powell, Pastor
Two gentlemen by the names of John Gaw and N.M. Lancaster first proposed the idea of building a church in the area of Oakford in western Daviess County. After two meetings, sufficient funds were raised to build the church and the location at Bernard Hill was decided upon. The first priest involved was Father Eugene Callahan of Owensboro, who attended the planning meetings. The building committee consisted of Thomas J. Monarch, John Gaw, N.M. Lancaster, J.C. Grant and T.C. Hill. At a cost of $4,000.00, the church was constructed in 1873 and was dedicated by Bishop McClosky (Louisville).